Monday 12 October 2015

Potassium supplements

Miss J’s Us & Es are on my desk and K is 3.4. A zealous younger partner has not ticked the Tell Patient Normal box and suggested telephone consultation.

Morning Miss J, about your blood test, your potassium level very slightly down, nothing to worry about... Probably your bendroflumethiazide, for blood pressure. Do you like bananas?
I love bananas!
Good. How many bananas do you eat per day?
One, usually.
Well, lots of potassium in bananas, so I suggest two or three per day over the Christmas period. How do you fancy that?
That would be great!
Enjoy your bananas.

She laughs. I smile.
I press the Next Patient button.


Addendum. Just six weeks later Miss J’s potassium is 5.2. Yikes! Maybe she’ll have to cut back a little, maybe to single small free-trade banana bd. How shall I break the news?


No comments:

Post a Comment